Monday, December 9, 2013

Whole Chicken in a Crock-pot

     I had mentioned in my previous post about money saving ideas and one of the ways I save money for my family is by cooking a whole chicken. This gives us one healthy meal for dinner and leftovers for more dinners or lunches. It is super easy to make and the prep time is short. If it's a busy day this is a great fix it and forget it kind of meal. Best of all, its cheap! I paid $1.09/lb not on sale. You can find these as low as $0.98/lb in my area (Southern California) -not bad at all! 

Whole Crock-pot Chicken 

Ingredients

1 small fryer chicken 5-6lbs depending on the size of your crock-pot
2 stalks celery, washed and chopped
4 carrots, washed, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic minced 
Garlic powder 
pepper 
Mrs dash original seasoning 
1 lemon inside chicken 


Directions 
First  chop your vegetables and garlic and throw them in your crock-pot.



 Next unwrap the chicken and remove the innards. Give the chicken a good rinse and pat dry with paper towels.


Now comes the easy part just place the chicken in the crock-pot and season to your liking. I did not do exact measurements I just seasoned both sides up really well with the pepper, Mrs. dash, and garlic powder.
Cut a lemon or two in half and stick them inside the chicken. This will help give it great flavor.




Place the lid on, set on low and walk away. Depending on the weight of your chicken it will take roughly 7 hours. This is what it will look like when it is finished. it is so tender.

 Happy cooking and saving everyone. Until next time, best wishes from my family to yours!  











No comments:

Post a Comment